Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Middle School Life

I get the same question a lot these days...."Are you surviving at the middle school?" or  "Do you regret your decision yet?"

So here it is...my official reflection of the first few months as a middle school teacher ...

What do I love about teaching middle school?
Students have an undeniable excitement to learn.  They aren't "too cool for school" and still really have fun while learning.  I love how much progress I have seen in them in such a short period of time.  From writing to behaviors to higher level thinking, I am so impressed with how quickly they learn. 

They are super compliant and still respect and like their teachers. Kids don't come to class complaining about other teachers or classes. They live in the moment and do not seem to dwell on things beyond their control. 

They do not judge. I have yet to feel judged by anyone in the entire building. They are incredibly accepting and so very sweet. I can't tell you the number of notes, emails, and treats kids have given me just to say thanks for teaching them. 

This doesn't mean all of these things were missing in my previous classroom with older kids, it's just different. 

What do I miss?
Mostly, I miss the respect and trust the parents had in my ability to provide the best possible opportunities for their kids. It is hard to adjust to being questioned daily by parents who don't know me and will accuse or point fingers when truly my goal is to help their child be more successful and independent. I can't speak from their point of view though. Maybe when my own kids are in middle school, I will feel the same way when I see them becoming more independent and not making the choices I would like them to make.  Either way, I miss the trust. 

I wanted a challenge and needed change. I got both. I love the challenge of creating lessons to appeal to a younger crowd. I love having a team to work with, who push me to try things outside of my norm.  I love the environment of my campus, one of equality and acceptance for all and everyone putting kids first. 

So, yes I am surviving and no, I absolutely do not regret my decision to mix life up a little. 

5 comments:

  1. I miss my school my students. And Also my teacher stuff. Actually school life is always memorable for and I think for every one. No one can't forget this. And I'm the same as this. Miss those days. How enjoyable this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. School life is the best time to build your future. this is the base of future. Every student should attentive in this time and also all parents too. So be careful about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. School life is always very lovely place to build up your future. In school you can make your base strong. So be attentive in school. And read hard. Then you will do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We skip my personal college my personal college students. As well as my personal instructor things. Really college existence is definitely unforgettable with regard to as well as I believe for each 1. Nobody cannot overlook this particular. As well as explore more I am just like this particular. Skip those times. Exactly how pleasant this particular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My spouse and i pass up our institution our individuals. Along with click this link In addition our tutor goods. Truly institution lifestyle is actually unique pertaining to along with I do think for every single one particular. No person are unable to forget about this specific. Along with I am just similar to this specific. Pass up days gone by. Precisely how satisfying this specific.

    ReplyDelete